Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Land of the Dead 2005






I guess I enjoyed this one enough to see it multiple times at the theater.  Pretty sure I saw it with my bro and Skinner, and then with some guys I worked with at the time. It does have a home in my dvd collection and did find it's way into my player a couple months ago....I fell asleep half way through it though. Here is a trailer to refresh your braaaains.



2004 saw the zombie genre return from the grave with Shaun of the Dead, Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake and how could I leave out the second of way too many Resident Evil films. They did well enough in the theaters so why wouldn't the man responsible for the modern day zombie want to take a stab at it again after 20 years.

George A. Romero gave us one of the greatest trilogies that in my opinion should have stayed just that, a trilogy.  Land of the Dead is not the worst film I have every seen but it is far from the best.  Night, Dawn and Day or the Dead were made when movies were gritty and full of man made gore. Seeing intestines ripped out or a shotgun blast to the head in the late 70's meant there was going to be an actual mess to clean up, now that everything can be done on the computer it's lost that feeling of dread.

I'm trying really hard to think of  reasons to recommend this movie.......I guess Dennis Hopper gives an okay performance.....ummmm Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright have brief appearances as zombies....compared to his next two Dead films this is Casablanca.....that might be about it. Now why it doesn't hold up for me.....digital effects bug the shit out of me.....zombies are adapting pretty well for being brain dead.......sky flowers.......and it's just not what I grew up loving.

 I compare Romero to that athlete who can't walk away when he is on top, trying way to hard to match what was done in his prime. Great run Mr. Romero, and you had a major impact on my childhood. Maybe next you can give us that Monkey Shines sequel we have all been dying to see.

I shouldn't have to tell this to anyone but if you haven't seen Night, Dawn and Day of the Dead do that right now. If you would like some non zombie Romero check out Creepshow, and Martin.





















No comments:

Post a Comment